Do you want to be self sufficient and confident of being on your own in the mountains? Kendal Mountaineering Services’ mountaincraft courses are designed to teach you the required mountains skills and are based primarily in the Lake District National Park.
- learn lots of different skills to keep you safe outdoors
- tailor the course to your exact needs
- get out and about in the rugged mountains of the Lake District
Our mountain craft courses teach you to be self sufficient in our mountainous areas. You will be taught mountain navigation techniques, wild camping etiquette, river crossing techniques, security on steep ground, emergency procedures and also about how mountains influence weather forecasting.
At KMS we teach all of our Summer and Winter Mountain craft courses to MLTUK (Mountain Leader Training UK) standard.
On completion of the course you'll be able to:
- interpret weather maps so you won't get caught out unexpectedly
- deal with river crossings
- scramble over steep ground
- learn how to choose the best location for your overnight camp
- deal with emergency situations if they arise.
We can also run the course in Snowdonia National Park in North Wales. Winter mountain craft courses are run in Scotland.
The Scottish Cairngorms
Winter mountaincraft courses are run in the Cairngorms and Glen Coe in Scotland. The skills you will learn include:
- ice axe and crampon techniques
- snow and ice belays
- how to interpret snow conditions underfoot
- learn the secrets of predicting and avoiding avalanche prone areas
- make yourself a snow hole in emergencies
After a course with us you'll know how to deal with getting down safely off the mountains when the weather closes in, and navigate in zero visibility (dependent on your previous navigational and map reading ability) .
An option to overnight in a snowhole is also available dependent on the weather and snow conditions.
KMS Mountaincraft courses will give you the skills needed so that you have the confidence to cope with all that the winter weather can throw at you. Using well practised techniques you'll be able to venture into the wilderness safe and secure in the knowledge that you will know what to do at all times.
Mountaincraft courses are bespoke and can be run on a modular basis; you can choose to cover aspects of the syllabus over individual days or you can book on to a full 5 day course.
Pricing is based on a minimum and maximum of two clients per instructor.
Lake District: Individual day £160/per instructor per day or full 5 day course £400/per person
North Wales or Scotland: Individual day (minimum of 2 consecutive days) £180/per instructor per day or full 5 day course £450/per person
Mountaincraft Courses Courses and Activities are held in: