Canyoning In The Lake District
Lakes Outdoor Experience offers canyoning as an activity in the Lake District, Cumbria. Canyoning involves descending a river, abseiling down waterfalls, sliding off rocks into the water below and jumping into deep pools.
- fun filled water based activity
- exciting and challenging outdoor adventure
- excellent group / team building activity
Ghyll scrambling (also known as gorge walking) is a similar activity where you walk upstream, swim through pools and climb waterfalls.
Typical Lake District venues for canyoning include Church Beck near Coniston, Stoneycroft Gill near Keswick and the Esk Gorge in upper Eskdale*.
We also know of other excellent but less well known venues; ask us when you enquire and we can get you off the beaten track and show you a quieter side to the Lake District.
Canyoning is a fantastic fun adventure. It is great for families, team building events and is amazing fun for a stag or hen do. We can tailor the day to make it suitable for all ages and abilities.
You are guaranteed to get very wet. This is a great activity for the summer months as well as a good option for when the Lake District has had one of its famous wet spells. We will always assess any trip before we take people out.
For Canyoning, we provide wetsuits, cagoules, buoyancy aids, helmets, harnesses and walking boots. You will need to bring a long sleeved fleece type top each, swimwear and either two pairs of shoe (not ankle) socks or a thick pair of walking socks to wear in the boots provided. Make sure you have some dry clothes and towels for after! We warm up at the end of the adventure with a hot drink!
Canyoning is great as part of a multi-activity adventure especially when joined with other activities such as rock climbing or canoeing / kayaking in the Lake District and all can be part of a stag or hen party.
- Prices start at £50/person for a half day (4 hours) and £85/person for a full day (8 hours) for a minimum group size of two persons.
- *the Esk Gorge trip is a full day adventure and cannot be combined with another activity.
- Group bookings discount and children’s rates are also available. Further information can be found on the venue pages below.