Lakes Outdoor Experience run ghyll scrambling (also known as gorge walking) activity sessions in the Lake District, Cumbria. The Lake District National Park is one of the best venues in North West England for ghyll scrambling which is following a river bed upstream.
- a fun and challenging activity
- see the Lake District from a different viewpoint
- great fun for families and groups
Ghyll scrambling is a wet obstacle course! Walk up a river bed, swim across a pool, scramble across boulders, climb up a waterfall and then jump into a deep pool! All this is done under the watchful eye of our qualified instructors. This is a popular activity with people of all ages and we will tailor the day to suit the groups’ ability.
Gorge Walking & Ghyll Scrambling locations
LOE know all the best ghyll scrambling venues in the Lake District; no matter where you are staying we can provide you with a great adventure. Our most popular locations are Stickle Ghyll in Langdale, Stoneycroft Ghyll and Hause Gill near Keswick and Wren Gill near Kendal. We also use less frequented venues where you may get the beautiful Lake District as your own personal playground!
For a truly awesome day of ghyll scrambling adventure, the Esk Gorge* cannot be beaten. A 3km long route with 200m of ascent with a number of pools and waterfalls set in spectacular Lake District scenery. This is a full day outing in one of the Lake Districts most remote and prettiest places where you’ll be swimming through pools, climbing up waterfalls and doing some of the most exhilarating jumps in The Lake District for a minimum of four hours.
For Ghyll Scrambling, we provide you with wetsuits, cagoules, buoyancy aids, helmets harnesses & walking boots. You need to bring swimwear. a long sleeved fleece type top each and either two pairs of shoe (not ankle) socks or a thick pair of walking socks to wear in the boots we provide You also need dry clothes and towels for the end of the session. In early Spring or late Autumn, we will also warm up with a hot drink at the end of the activity.
Please note - we are one of the very few providers to insist you wear our walking boots for Ghyll Scrambling Sessions: most other providers ask you to bring your own trainers which are totally unsuitable for this serious environment!
Ghyll scrambling or gorge walking is ideal as part of a multi-activity day which may include other activities such as climbing, abseiling, canoeing or kayaking ideal for groups, individuals or stag and hen parties.
- Prices can be as low as as £35/person for a half day (4 hours) and £65/person for a full day (8 hours) * See below.
- *the Esk Gorge trip is a full day adventure and cannot be combined with another activity.
- * Our minimum payment for Ghyll Scrambling is £100.00 for a half day session and £170.00 for a full day. For either fee, one or two persons can attend the session with all specialist equipment and guiding included. Discounts are applied for group bookings.
- Group bookings discount and children’s rates are also available. Please enquire.