Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Kendal Mountaineering Services cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer holidays in Slovenia and on The Isle of Skye.
Wren Gill, Longsleddale, Kendal
Wren Gill in Longsleddale is the closest Ghyll Scrambling/Gorge Walking venue to Kendal in South Lakes and the closest one to the M6. Why not call in and break your journey north or south by joining us for a refreshing & exhilarating Ghyll Scrambling Session in The Lake District!
The Wren Gill Ghyll Scrambling & Canyoning venue has over 2 kilometres of stream bed to scramble up, waterfalls to climb and more than two places where it is possible to jump into deep pools (photo two). The venue is a great place for family groups as well as adults and children just love the variety of challenges to be found here.
Meeting point for this activity. Meet us at the top end of the layby on the A6 on the north side of Kendal just next to the NHS Enterprise Centre. The postcode for Satnav purposes is LA9 6NY. We will arrive here in a green Series II Land Rover to meet you. We then take an eight mile drive up Longsleddale to Sadgill where we get kitted up and then finish the journey in the Land Rover to arrive at the venue.
Frequently asked questions.
- What equipment is provided as part of a ghyll scrambling session?Answer - as part of your fee per person, you get a neoprene wetsuit, a pullover cagoule, a pair of walking boots, a helmet & harness. Basically, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! We also provide buoyancy aids for this venue and we "can" provide some fleece tops if you do not have your own. NOTE - we must have received your sizings for wetsuits & boots in advance of your session so we can organise the right sized equipment for you.
- What do I need to bring? Answer - you each need to bring swimwear, a long sleeved fleece type top if you have one, either two pairs of long shoe socks or a pair of thick walking socks to wear in the walking boots provided and a towel/change of dry clothing.
- How long does a half day session last? Answer - up to a maximum of four hours.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £45.00, bring more than six persons and the price falls by a further £5, bring more than eleven persons and the price falls by a further £5 to our minimum price per person of £35.00. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Ghyll Scrambling before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
More About Us
Lakes Outdoor Experience is run by Iain Gallagher. Iain divides his time between hills and crags in the Lake District, North Wales, Scotland and North Yorkshire. He can also be found climbing peaks across Europe and around the World.