Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Kendal Mountaineering Services cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer holidays in Slovenia and on The Isle of Skye.
Glenridding Beck, Ullswater Valley
Glenridding Beck is the best ghyll scrambling/gorge walking venue in the Ullswater Valley. The gorge walking here is split in to two sections- one below the lead mines and one above.
The lower section is narrow and rocky with some interesting scrambling moves to be made and some sections where a rope is necessary to get up the odd waterfall. You'll be surprsed by how much time you'll spend in this section with it's deep pools, scrambling bits and powerful flow, but it's really great fun!
We meet in Glenridding Village on the A592 opposite the entrance to the Inn on The Lake (CA11 0PE for Satnav purposes) and we'll drive on from there to a suitable location to get kitted up and ready to go into Greenside Beck.
Our ghyll scrambling/gorge walking sessions in Glenridding Beck are usually 4 hours in duration and we generally start at 09:00 or 1pm on the day although we can be more flexible with our timings if required.
Frequently asked questions.
- What equipment is provided as part of a ghyll scrambling session? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you get a neoprene wetsuit, a pullover cagoule, a pair of walking boots, a helmet & harness. Basically, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! We also provide buoyancy aids for clients at this venue and we "can" provide some fleece tops if you do not have your own.
- What do I need to bring?Answer - you each need to bring swimwear, a long sleeved fleece type top if you have one, either two pairs of long shoe socks or a pair of thick walking socks to wear in the walking boots provided and a towel/change of dry clothing.
- How long does a half day session last? Answer - up to four hours but groups often get up Glenridding Beck in less time.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £50.00, bring more than two persons and the price drops to £45.00 each. Bring six persons and the price falls by a further £5, to £40.00 each, bring more than eleven persons and the price falls by a further £5 to our minimum price per person of £35.00. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Ghyll Scrambling before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
To book your Ghyll Scrambling Session contact us here, now!
More About Us
Lakes Outdoor Experience is run by Iain Gallagher. Iain divides his time between hills and crags in the Lake District, North Wales, Scotland and North Yorkshire. He can also be found climbing peaks across Europe and around the World.