Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Lakes Outdoor Experience cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer guided scrambling and traverses on The Cuillin Ridge on The Isle of Skye.
Hause Gill, Borrowdale, Keswick. Northern Lake District.
Hause Gill in Borrowdale is a great venue for Ghyll Scrambling/Gorge Walking in the North Lakes. It is ideal for everyone from small children through to adults and is great for School groups, families and Stag & Hen parties.
Getting into the ghyll is only a five minute walk from the car park and once in, there is ever changing scenery along the way.
There are deep pools for swimming in, waterfalls for climbing and several deep rocky gorge-like sections where the only way is to go up or go back!
However, Hause Gill does not carry a large stream and it is a rare occasion that we have to miss the more challenging bits out due to high water levels. Indeed, the Midges here in Summer can be more of a challenge - but at least you can get rid of them by splashing water on your face!
Overall, the Hause Gill Ghyll Scrambling & Gorge Walking Venue is no more than a mile long, but you can have a full half day session of great fun in here no problem at all. Once you've tried Ghyll Scrambling here, you'll just love it!
Frequently asked questions.
- Where do we meet for Ghyll Scrambling/Gorge Walking Sessions in Hause Gill? Answer. We'll meet you in The National Trust Car Park at Seatoller on the road through Borrowdale that leads to Honister Pass and Buttermere. The Postcode for the car park is CA12 5XN. When you arrive, we'll be there with all of your equipment - ready to go; and you can get changed in the toilet block;
- What equipment is provided as part of a ghyll scrambling session? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you get a neoprene wetsuit, a pullover cagoule, a pair of walking boots, a helmet & harness. Basically, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! We also provide buoyancy aids for small children at this venue and we "can" provide some fleece tops if you do not have your own. Please note - we are unable to provide boots larger than adult size 12.
- What do I need to bring? Answer - you each need to bring swimwear, a long sleeved fleece type top if you have one, either two pairs of long shoe socks or a pair of thick walking socks to wear in the walking boots provided and a towel/change of dry clothing.
- How long does a half day session last? Answer - up to four hours but most groups get up Hause Ghyll in much less time.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £65.00 each. For a group of three the price is £50.00 each. For four - five persons the price is £45.00 each. For six to 12 persons the price is £40.00 each. For a group size of 13 or more our minimum price per person is £35.00. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Ghyll Scrambling before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
Why not combine a half day of Ghyll Scrambling in Borrowdale with a half day of Introductory Rock Climbing at Shepherd's Crag or an Abseil at nearby Bowderstone Quarry to make a full day of fantastic activities in The Lake District!