Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Kendal Mountaineering Services cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer holidays in Slovenia and on The Isle of Skye.
Church Beck, Coniston, The Lake District.
Church Beck near Coniston Village is one of The Lake District's best known locations for Canyoning.
This one kilometre long & narrow canyon has a whole stack of adrenalin inducing challenges for you to do - it's not for the faint hearted!
The trip starts off with a lower down the top fall, you'll get a facefull and an instant soaking in the deep pool at the bottom. Following on from this, there is a short jump into another deep pool - just to get you into the swing of things!
Following on from this, after a short walk; we do the lower down the Miners Bridge Waterfall and then immediately following we tackle the "top jumps" where the canyon reaches it's narrowest point and there are two jumps to be done here (photo two) both about 3 metres in height.
Beyond the bottom jump, we swim across the deep pool and are immediately into the "chockstone slide" - an exhilarating launch down an 3 metre slab with another 3 metres of air-time underneath into yet another deep pool.
Beyond this, we head down to another waterfall where another low jump is possible and then head to the bottom of the canyon to turn around to come back up - climbing a waterfall en route before tackling the "tricky traverse" which is basically a rock traverse across the back off a pool where the penalty for failure is (yes - you've guessed it!) a ducking in the pool.
Above here, we climb left out of the canyon and traverse above it for 75 metres or so descending to do "the finale" which is a 7 metre jump int the deep pool at the bottom of the top jumps. This means a second opportunity to do the chockstone slide before we get out.
By this point, you'll be thoroughly exhilarated and thoroughly rehydrated!
The meeting point for our Church Beck Canyoning Trips is on Coppermines Lane in Coniston. Find the Black Bull Inn & Hotel in Coniston Village (LA21 8DU for Satnav purposes) and drive up Coppermines Lane to park on the left; and we'll be there to meet you with all of the equipment you'll need for your Canyoning Session.
Once you're kitted up and ready to go, we have a 10 minute walk up the track to the head of the ravine; and then your Canyoning Session will begin. Bring it on!
Frequently asked questions.
- What equipment is provided as part of a Canyoning session? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you get a neoprene wetsuit, a pullover cagoule, a buoyancy aid, a pair of walking boots and a helmet & harness. Basically, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! We "can" provide some fleece tops if you do not have your own. Note - we are one of the few Lake District Activity Companies to insist on giving you proper walking boots for your Canyoning Session which will protect your feet & ankles much better than that pair of training shoes you've been asked to bring along by some of our lower priced competitors!
- What do I need to bring? Answer - you each need to bring swimwear, a long sleeved fleece type top if you have one, either two pairs of long shoe socks or a pair of thick walking socks to wear in the walking boots provided and a towel/change of dry clothing.
- How long does a half day session last? Answer - up to four hours but many groups complete the Church Beck Canyoning Trip in much less time. However, if you are up for it, we can do sections of the canyon more than once!
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £45.00, bring more than six persons and the price falls by a further £5, bring more than eleven persons and the price falls by a further £5 to our minimum price per person of £35.00. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Ghyll Scrambling before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
More About Us
Lakes Outdoor Experience is run by Iain Gallagher. Iain divides his time between hills and crags in the Lake District, North Wales, Scotland and North Yorkshire. He can also be found climbing peaks across Europe and around the World.