Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Lakes Outdoor Experience cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer guided scrambling and traverses on The Cuillin Ridge on The Isle of Skye.
Long Churns, Ribblehead, The Yorkshire Dales.
If you are coming to The Lake District and are looking for a real adventure - then why not try caving! Our caving locations are only half an hour east of the M6 and there are some great underground trips to be done. Long Churns is undoubtedly one of the most popular Introductory Caving Trips in the area.
Long Churns has over two kilometres of underground passageway to be explored - big passageways, small ones, narrow ones, dry passages; and wet ones where Alum Pot Beck thunders through on it's way to Alum Pot. Long Churns is well remembered by many for it's tight bedding plane crawl (photo above) - the infamous "Cheese Press". There are many challenges underground in Long Churns such as the Cheese Press that you can have a go at, but if you don't want to, then you don't have to!
The downstream end of the Long Churns Cave system for walking trips terminates at the edge of the 240 foot deep Alum Pot. At the upstream end of the system, one arrives at a deep circular pool - Doctor Bannister's Washbasin. At the back of this pool, Alum Pot enters the cave via a 15 foot waterslide. You have the opportunity to crawl behind the waterfall - and then climb it to energe in daylight on Borrins Moor.
Once on the surface again after several hours in Long Churns, you may decide that you've had enough; or, you may be keen to do some more exploring! Nearby Wilson's Cave is an excellent winding channel starting on the surface finishing up with a low, wet 150 foot crawl through water or there's Borrins Moor Cave to explore with it's four different exits & entrances. Put it this way - if you want introductory caving fun and adventure in abundance then it is very easy to fill a half day underground with us at Long Churns!
Frequently asked questions.
- Where is the meeting point for your Introductory Caving Sessions in The Yorkshire Dales? Answer Most of our clients are coming from The Lake District so travel to Junction 36 on the M6 and head east along the A65 taking the 1st turn into Ingleton Village and parking in the village centre near to the Inglesport Climbing shop & Cafe (LA6 3EB for Satnav purposes) and this is where we generally meet to go off for your caving adventure
- What equipment is provided as part of a Caving session? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you get a Caving Oversuit, a pair of Wellington boots, a helmet with caving light & and a caving belt. Basically, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos!
- What do I need to bring? Answer - you each need to bring old clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty and a little wet. A long sleeved fleece type top is ideal and fleece pants as well - if you have them; or tracksuit bottoms or leggings are also good! You also need either two pairs of long shoe socks or a pair of thick walking socks to wear in the Wellington boots provided and a towel/change of dry clothing.
- How long does a half day session last? Answer - up to four hours underground.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £65.00 each, for three to six persons the price is £50 each. For seven persons or more, the price is £45 each, bring more than eleven persons and the price falls to our minimum price per person of £35.00. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Caving before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!