Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Kendal Mountaineering Services cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer holidays in Slovenia and on The Isle of Skye.
Thornhow Crag, Grisedale, Ullswater Valley, The Lake District.
If you are visiting the Ullswater Valley in The Lake District and would like to try Rock Climbing as an outdoor activity then we can arrange this for you at Thornhow Crag in Grisedale.
This great little Introductory rock climbing venue has a number of easy rock climbs for people of all abilities and is great for families with children. The crag is about 20 metres high and the climbing area is about 70 metres wide. The views up the Grisedale valley towards Striding Edge and Helvellyn in one direction; and the southern end of Ullswater in the other direction makes this a stunning location for you to take your first steps on to outdoor rock!
As well as being a great place to try Rock Climbing for the first time, Thornhow Crag is also set up as a purpose built venue for Abseiling with a large ledge at the top of the crag - prebolted with anchor points for arranging a perfect abseil so if you'd like to try both Introductory Rock Climbing and Abseiling in the Ullswater Valley, then this is the place to do it!
Car Parking can be arranged in a field only a ten minute walk away from Thornhow Crag, so if you want to try Abseiling in the Ullswater Valley, then give us a call to organise a great session for you.
Half day Rock Climbing & Abseiling sessions typically start between 09:00 and 1pm each day - so you will need to let us know you'd like to start your session.
Frequently asked questions.
- Where do we meet for Rock Climbing & Abseiling at Thornhow Crag? Answer. We'll meet you in Glenridding village on the side of the A592 opposite the entrance to The Inn On The Lake (Postcode CA11 OPE for Satnav Purposes). From here, we travel for just a further ten minutes to get to the parking area below Thornhow Crag.
- What equipment is provided as part of an Introductory Rock Climbing or Abseiling session at Thornhow Crag? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you are provided with a helmet & harness, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! We "can" also provide walking boots if you do not have your own or we can hire you in proper Rock Climbing shoes at typically £10 per pair. We provide all of the ropes and climbing equipment for your Rock Climbing session.
- What do I need to bring? Answer – we suggest you bring plenty of warm clothing and waterproofs – just in case it’s a little cold or damp. Also, bring some snacks and a drink to keep you “topped up” during your Rock Climbing session.
- How long does a half day Introductory Rock Climbing session or Abseiling Session at Thornhow Crag last? Answer - typically up to four hours.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £45.00, bring more than six persons and the price falls by a further £5, bring more than eleven persons and the price falls by a further £5 to our minimum price per person of £35.00. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Outdoor Rock Climbing or Abseiling before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
Why not combine a half day of Rock Climbing & Abseiling with a half day of Ghyll Scrambling, Canadian Canoeing, Kayaking or Raft-Building to make a full day of fantastic Outdoor Activities in The Ullswater Valley with us?
To book your Rock Climbing & Abseiling Session in the Ullswater Valley, contact us here, now!
More About Us
Lakes Outdoor Experience is run by Iain Gallagher. Iain divides his time between hills and crags in the Lake District, North Wales, Scotland and North Yorkshire. He can also be found climbing peaks across Europe and around the World.