Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Kendal Mountaineering Services cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer holidays in Slovenia and on The Isle of Skye.
Twistleton Scar, Ingleton
Twistleton Scar is an Introductory Rock Climbing Venue set in the Yorkshire Dales on the west side of Chapel Le Dale - almost mid-way between the village of Ingleton and Ribblehead.
The venue has stunning views across to Ingleborough Hill which shows it's most impressive aspect from this location and also south over Ingleton towards the forest of Bowland. It is an extremely pleasant place to climb - particularly on a warm, sunny day!
There are probably about 30 different Rock Climbs at Twistleton Scar ranging from very easy to very hard and from about 8 metres in height to about 15 metres.
You'll be doing all of your rock climbing using a "top rope - bottom belay" system same as you would on an indoor climbing wall. This is a good progression on from indoor climbing though as there are no coloured holds to use - but you will get to learn how outdoor climbers climb on real rock!
As well as outdoor rock climbing, at Twistleton Scar, you can also try out Abseiling too as part of your session.
This is a great activity if you have never tried it before and really challenging and exhilarating too - once you've had one go at Abseiling - you'll be back fo several more - it's great fun!
If you book a half day of caving at nearby Ribblehead, then you will get to do three different activities in this location and all for only £85.00 per person. Isn't that worth considering?
Meeting point for Rock Climbing & Abseiling at Twistleton Scar. We usually meet you outside of the Inglesport Climbing Shop & Cafe (LA6 3EB for Satnav purposes) in Ingleton for these sessions. Please note that parking at Twistleton Farm costs £2.00 for cars and £7.00 for minibuses and this is in addition to your fee per person for rock climbing & abseiling. Payment can, if you wish be made to us to pay the farmer on your behalf; or bring the correct cash with you to pay direct on the day - thank you.
Frequently asked questions.
- What equipment is provided as part of an Introductory Rock Climbing session? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you are provided with a helmet & harness, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! We "can" also provide walking boots if you do not have your own or we can hire you in proper Rock Climbing shoes at typically £7.50 per pair. We provide all of the ropes and climbing equipment for your Rock Climbing session.
- What do I need to bring? Answer – we suggest you bring plenty of warm clothing and waterproofs – just in case it’s a little cold or damp. Also, bring some snacks and a drink to keep you “topped up” during your Rock Climbing session.
- How long does a half day Introductory Rock Climbing session last? Answer - up to four hours.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £50.00, bring more than six persons and the price falls by a further £5, bring more than eleven persons and the price falls by a further £5 to our minimum price per person of £35.00. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Outdoor Rock Climbing before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
More About Us
Lakes Outdoor Experience is run by Iain Gallagher. Iain divides his time between hills and crags in the Lake District, North Wales, Scotland and North Yorkshire. He can also be found climbing peaks across Europe and around the World.