Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Kendal Mountaineering Services cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer holidays in Slovenia and on The Isle of Skye.
Shepherd's Crag, Borrowdale, Keswick. Northern Lake District.
Shepherd's Crag in Borrowdale is one of the Lake District's best known Rock Climbing venues with lengths and grades of climbs for all abilities; this makes it a very popular Rock Climbing venue.
We have been running all manner of Rock Climbing Courses here for many years. You can try an Introductory Rock Climbing Session here at Brown Slabs, Jackdaw Ridge Area or Upper Shepherd's Crag.
You can also be taught Trad Climbing techniques with us here at Brown Slabs and Upper Shepherds Crag on one of our Learning to lead Trad Rock Climbing Courses.
We can also Guide you on any number of classic rock climbs at Shepherds Crag - if you'd just like to be taken climbing by one of our Climbing Instructors.
If you are on holiday and wish to give the children a taste of what outdoor rock climbing is all about then Upper Shepherd's Crag is hard to beat. There are lots of great short easy rock climbs there - particularly suitable for small children but also suitable for nervous adults. However this is also a venue where you can choose to learn Trad climbing techniques and it is a great place to learn climbing techniques for yourself such as anchor placements, climbing ropework, belaying et cetera. Also, it is above the main crag in a peaceful location with stunning views from the nearby summit over Derwentwater to Keswick and Skiddaw and south along Borrowdale.
Frequently asked questions.
- Where do we meet for Climbing Sessions at Shepherd's Crag? Answer. High Lodore Farm - Shepherd's Cafe, the postcode is CA12 5UY for Satnav purposes. Park in the car park to the right of the entrance and we will meet you here with all of the equipment required for your session.
- What equipment is provided as part of an Introductory Rock Climbing session? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you are provided with a helmet & harness, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! We "can" also provide walking boots if you do not have your own or we can hire you in proper Rock Climbing shoes at typically £10 per pair per day. We provide all of the ropes and climbing equipment for your Rock Climbing Session and rucksacks as we will need you to help us carry it all up to the crag!.
- How long does a half day Introductory Rock Climbing session last? Answer - up to four hours.
- What do I need to bring? Answer – we suggest you bring plenty of warm clothing and waterproofs – just in case it’s a little cold or damp. Also, bring some snacks and a drink to keep you “topped up” during your Rock Climbing session.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two for Introductory Rock Climbing is £45.00, bring more than six persons and the price falls by a further £5, bring more than eleven persons and the price falls by a further £5 to our minimum price per person of £35.00. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- How much are half day learning to lead Trad Rock Climbing Courses or Guided Climbing? Answer. £110 for two persons for a half day or £160.00 for a full eight our day of climbing tuition. Please note we will also take one person on a Guided climbing course for £110.00 and £160.00 respectively for a half day or a full day of guided classic Rock Climbing at Shepherd's Crag. The maximum ratio is two clients to one Mountaineering & Rock Climbing Instructor for Learning to Lead Trad Climbing and Guided Climbing Courses and there are no discounts applied to either courses.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Outdoor Rock Climbing before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
Why not book a half day of Ghyll Scrambling or Gorge Walking at nearby Stoneycroft Gill or Hause Gill (also nearby in Borrowdale) or some Abseiling at the nearby Bowderstone Quarry to make a fantastic full day of outdoor activities in the Keswick Area? You wont regret it!
More About Us
Lakes Outdoor Experience is run by Iain Gallagher. Iain divides his time between hills and crags in the Lake District, North Wales, Scotland and North Yorkshire. He can also be found climbing peaks across Europe and around the World.