Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Lakes Outdoor Experience cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer guided scrambling and traverses on The Cuillin Ridge on The Isle of Skye.
Stickle Ghyll, Great Langdale
Stickle Ghyll is one of the most popular locations for Ghyll Scrambling/Gorge Walking in The Lake District. There are over 2 kilometres of ghyll to explore with pools to wade through, waterfalls to climb up and a number of deep pools - one deep enough to jump in to.
The postcode for Satnav purposes for our meeting point is LA22 9JU and this should bring you to the National Trust Stickle Ghyll Car Park adjacent to The Sticklebarn Tavern in Langdale. Do not park in the National Park Car Park on the left - almost opposite the entrance to the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel - drive a little further up the road and you'll find the National Trust car park entrance on your right.
Frequently asked questions.
- What equipment is provided as part of a ghyll scrambling session? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you get a neoprene wetsuit, a pullover cagoule, a pair of walking boots, a helmet & harness. Basically, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! We also provide buoyancy aids for small children at this venue and we "can" provide some fleece tops if you do not have your own. Please note - we are unable to provide boots larger than adult size 12 for these sessions.
- What do I need to bring? Answer - you each need to bring swimwear, a long sleeved fleece type top if you have one, either two pairs of long shoe socks or a pair of thick walking socks to wear in the walking boots provided and a towel/change of dry clothing.
- How long does a half day session last? Answer - up to four hours but most groups get up Stickle Ghyll in much less time.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. Our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £65.00 each. For a group of three - five the price is £50.00 each. For six - eleven persons, the price is £45.00 each. For twelve or more persons the price is £40.00 each. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire.
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Ghyll Scrambling before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
Why not combine your Ghyll Scrambling Session with another half day activity in this location such as Introductory Rock Climbing to make a fantastic full activity day in Langdale