Mountain Course & Activity Locations
Kendal Mountaineering Services cover locations across the UK, including North Wales, Scotland and The Lake District to mention but a few. We also offer holidays in Slovenia and on The Isle of Skye.
Ullswater, The Lake District
Ullswater in the eastern Lake District is undoubtedly one of the area's prettiest lakes and just one of a number of venues we use for our introductory Kayaking Courses.
The Lake has a number of access points from the A592 and Glenridding - the nearest village; and our meeting point for Ullswater based Kayaking Sessions, is easily access from South Lakes/Ambleside & Windermere via the A592/Kirkstone Pass or also from the M6 at Junction 40.
Where do we meet you? For your Introductory Kayaking Session on Ullswater, we can meet at Kirkstone Pass Summit (LA22 9LQ for Satnav Purposes) if you are travelling from South Lakes; or in Glenridding village on the roadside (CA11 0PE for Satnav purposes). Once we have met, you will follow us to the location from where we will get on to the lake. We'll get changed into wetsuits et cetera, get you fitted into your kayak; and then set off to explore the southern end of this beautiful lake with it's stunning surroundings.
An introductory Kayaking Session will typically give us enough time to explore the southern end of Ullswater with it's contrasting shorelines and bays. There is at least one place where, if it is warm enough, you can jump off a cliff straight in to deep water, there are three islands to visit and also Goldrill Beck - the largest stream flowing into the Lake, can also be explored for a short distance to give you a "feel" for what moving water is like. However, if you are up for it, it is also possible to drag the kayaks further upstream here to explore the easier sections of river beyond and then enjoy the thrill of running some very mild rapids as we return to the lake. If you are interested in a full day of Kayaking here then we do all of these things and journey further exploring more of Ullswater and taking in the stunning views. For a full day out - don't forget to bring your lunch!
Frequently asked questions.
- What equipment is provided as part of an Introductory Kayaking session? Answer - as part of your fee per person, you get a neoprene wetsuit, a pullover cagoule, and bouyancy aid. Basically, so that you can get kitted up like the people in these photos! Of course you also get a Kayak, paddle and spraydeck to keep the water out of your craft. We "can" provide some fleece tops if you do not have your own.
- What do I need to bring? Answer - you each need to bring swimwear, a long sleeved fleece type top if you have one, a pair of old training shoes that you don't mind getting wet and a towel/change of dry clothing.
- How long does a half day session last? Answer - up to four hours on Ullswater. You can also have a full day of Kayaking at this venue - in which case, don't forget to bring your lunch.
- Are there any discounts on your price? Answer - yes. For a half day of Kayaking our price per person for a minimum group size of two is £55.00 each, for four or more persons, the price falls to £45 each, for eight or more persons, the price falls to £40 each. If your group size is 12 persons or more then you each qualify for our minimum price of £35.00 per person. Children under 16 also receive a discount. Please contact us to enquire. If you are looking to do a full day of Kayaking, then our price for two people starts at £180.00 for the day and discounts apply for bigger groups - please do ask!
- We've booked & paid, but the weather's too cold or wet for our session to run. What happens to our payment? Answer - If we are unable to run your session due to the conditions, then you can either reschedule to another time; or, receive a full refund of your payment.
- I've never been Kayaking before. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Will I be able to do it? Answer - don't worry, you'll be well looked after in expert hands and you don't have to do anything you don't want to!
Why not combine your Kayaking Session on Ullswater with a half day of Rock Climbing & Abseiling, Ghyll Scrambling or Raftbuilding to make a full day of great adventurous activities in the Ullswater Valley?
To book your Kayaking Session on Ullswater contact us here, now.
More About Us
Lakes Outdoor Experience is run by Iain Gallagher. Iain divides his time between hills and crags in the Lake District, North Wales, Scotland and North Yorkshire. He can also be found climbing peaks across Europe and around the World.